Tuesday, January 12, 2010

10 tips to get ready for the leap!

Are you striving to be the consummate business leader or are you already part of a big business success story? Or maybe you are far more intrigued with the ‘serial entrepreneur’ way of life – you love the sense of freedom, risk and excitement that goes with the territory of running a start-up and establishing your vision as a ‘must have’ product or service. Wherever you sit, you need to find out what fuels you.


I myself sit somewhere in the middle – I call myself the ‘closet entrepreneur’. I worked for big business, but I always managed to attract the more risky ventures within those organizations where rules had not yet been established, teams didn’t exist and the slate was pretty clean. In these companies I found myself heading down the unknown path of starting up a new team or organization in one of our new market regions. I am fuelled by adventure.


Consequently my love for adventure (and flying) led to a stint in the air force, some war zone experience and a tremendous amount of personal growth. This led to even more adventure - a leap of faith into big business and fast-paced fun travelling the world, marketing and product launches with Oprah and the NFL. Now I’ve taken the ultimate leap of faith – still making my own choices, running my own show, but this time running my own company.


Whatever fuels your fire, wherever you strive to go…big business…your own business… humanitarian mission…keep in mind one key principle to help you live your adventure and do incredible things.


You get to choose.

You are the boss of you.

Ask yourself often; “is this what I really need to be doing right now?”

Remember. You are the CEO.


“Whatever,” you say. “It’s not so easy. My job, my skills and my dreams are so far apart I can’t see how they could ever come together!”

Here are 10 tips to help you get the ‘mindset’ to start believing that you can spend your career doing what fuels you and start having some fun. Here’s how:


  1. SEIZE EVERY OPPORTUNITY so you can maximize your potential – this is the decade of leadership opportunity for entrepreneurs, humanitarians, business leaders and visionaries. “What the hell am I doing here?” is a question you should be asking yourself – frequently.

  1. GET GOOD AT EXECUTION. Learn how to ‘make it happen’ and remember “quick, dirty and sometimes flawed” is all it might take.

  1. PUSH YOUR ENVELOPE and know how to re-invent yourself and your team. Stepping into the unknown is a critical skill for staying two steps ahead in these fast-paced times!

  1. COMBINE FORCES - get a 2 I/C. There is no question; the sum is greater than the parts. If you are looking at scaling your business and expanding in your marketplace the ‘second in command’ or ‘co-leader’ is the way to go.

  1. GET COMFORTABLE WITH BEING UNCOMFORTABLE. Being an entrepreneur is all about anticipating change, preparation, planning and readiness.

  1. BE ACCOUNTABLE – the buck stops with you. When you really want to make a difference, you will have to lead from the front and that will take guts. Own the risk, share success and then you can make the difference.

  1. IT MIGHT BE MISSION CRITICAL -- but it’s not mission impossible! It doesn’t matter what business you are in, things are moving fast. Know what strategies and tools you can use to thrive in the hot seat. Feel the need for speed.

  1. REMEMBER PASSION = POTENTIAL. Energize your team, create a freethinking environment and spark that creativity!

  1. CONNECT THE FRONT LINES and the BIG PICTURE. Communication at many different levels is critical to your success. Practice the ‘2 up 1 down’ strategy to keep your team and mission well connected.

  1. LINK YOUR TEAM TO THE MISSION. When things are moving at warp speed take the time to provide clarity of the mission and everyone’s roles in supporting that mission. It’s fundamental to team cohesiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment